Expansion Chamber Design Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhaust manifold designs

4 posters

Go down

Exhaust manifold designs Empty Exhaust manifold designs

Post by jetrcr Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:11 pm

Thanks for all the info on exhaust pipes, very interesting stuff. One question I have that I cannot seem to find any answers on are exhaust manifold designs. I race in a class that allows for 1200cc engines but you must run a single exhaust expansion chamber. For me this means I need to run a three into one manifold. I realize this is a real performance killer but those are the rules. I am currently using the stock cast aluminum manifold and have a hand made steel dry pipe that seems to work ok. I had a guy who builds pipes for snowmobiles build the pipe using test pipes and a dyno (with his years of experience doing in doing this). I have since made copies of this pipe that seem to to well but I want to do more. I am a Product Design Engineer, I own my own engine dyno, I have all the tools necessary to fabricate my own pipes, all I need is some direction.

If I keep my current 3:1 exhaust manifold how do I compensate for its design?

Does anyone know of any design software for these types of manifolds and pipes?

Thanks!
Jim

jetrcr

Back to top Go down

Exhaust manifold designs Empty Re: Exhaust manifold designs

Post by Admin Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:00 pm

I would like to have your ECcalc Excel file once you're entered all the data into it. Then I might be able to make suggestions for changes to the design.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/ECtheory.html

Back to top Go down

Exhaust manifold designs Empty Single chamber on multiple cylinder

Post by Sidewindermike Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:53 am

Greetings Jim,
I am currently working with a 2 into 1 expansion chamber system also limited by our class rules. I have found that the shortest manifold works best. That is the distance to the merge of the 2 cylinders. The return wave strength is reduced when the pulse enters the manifold and splits in two. Longer manifolds make less power. I have recently installed pressure analysis equipment which allows me to look at the pulses in the pipe and the pressures in the combustion chamber.
Regards Mike

Sidewindermike

Back to top Go down

Post by jetrcr Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:18 am

Thanks for the info Mike, this is what I suspect. When the guy building the pipe initially started he built his own manifold and it didn't really work all that well. He ended up using the stock Yamaha 3 into 1 manifold even though the #2 cylinder had a shorter overall distance.

I've started to fill out what I can into the Excel file but it is difficult to compare the header pipe with the manifold I am using. For whatever reason it has been really difficult for me to find anything written about these types of manifolds.

Thanks again!
Jim

jetrcr

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Due to the complexity of return waves interfering with the other cylinders this may be just something you need to go just by trial-and-error.

Admin
Admin

http://www.dragonfly75.com/motorbike/ECtheory.html

Back to top Go down

Post by revengable Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:31 am

If you get beyond the equal length puzzle. There are 3 sets of waves 120 degrees apart. I ran my 7k pipe through ecalc at 21k. My fatty peaked at 8.8 boost at 6500. 5 to 6 boost from 9500 to 13000. Then an increasingly negative effect from 14500 to 21000 where it was peaked at 0.7. I am working with an 835 cc triple.

The factory Japanese manifolds are a tri-Y style to get equal distance. Mine is a trident with a longer radius on the middle branch.(all bend 90 degrees at the block)
Kudos to Michael.

Thanks for listening,

Terry

revengable

Back to top Go down

Post by revengable Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:37 am

\/\/
\/

Please disregard my last post.....TA

On the subject of triples. Assuming equal length legs and 120 degree even firing order.There is a strong plugging pulse coming from an opening port as the previous port begins to close. Not a reflection but a positive wave the same one that goes down the header to the diffuser. This can be tuned by length/volume for torque before the frequencies of expansion chamber. Like a LeMans start calls for or a bogged turn on a buoy. My port timing is 178 staggered 120 is a lot of overlap. I have a rotax chamber I can fit on my boats but in all fairness its failure was probably do to my stinger sizing. With Mikes data acq and a dyno my drivers could place high enough to get inspected.

I measured that pipe and entered it to ecalc. It was pretty mild I thought.

Thanks again,

Terry

revengable

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum